About animals

Skin abscesses in small rodents

Pin
Send
Share
Send


An abscess is an accumulation of pus in any part of the body, surrounded and covered by damaged and inflamed tissues. They can be internal, caused by other diseases, and if so, they can cause very serious problems. Most often, what is found in mice and rats is superficial abscesses. Skin abscesses most often appear among all types of small rodents, which are kept as "pocket animals". These diseases are very worrying for the owner and can lead to serious illness of the animal. Why does this happen? How serious is this? How can this be treated or prevented? Fortunately, I can tell you more about this for all owners of rodents.

Why does this happen?

Bacteria live everywhere. We cannot live in a sterile environment - this is impossible. Such an environment is simply not in the world. When our animals are injured that damage the skin, this literally opens the door for bacteria. A wound can be frivolous (a scratch from a rough, uneven surface) or serious (a bite from a cage).

The bacterium Staphylous aureus is the bacterium that most often causes abscesses. It is also often found in abscesses on human skin. For our pets, an abscess is like an abscess for a person, but sometimes more serious. S. aureus is often the "agent" of another disease - "lumps, balls." These lumps themselves are also a form of abscess. This bacterium can cause various harm to our little pets. Even humans themselves can infect pets if they do not wash their hands before touching their pets. After all, the bacterium S. aureu s is a frequent inhabitant on human skin.

It is difficult to answer this question, this disease can become serious if it is started. A bacterium that infects rodents can spread throughout the body and become fatal. It can still penetrate the blood and poison it, which will lead to death without quick, effective help from a doctor. But if treatment is started at the first sign of an abscess, then the chances of recovery are very high.

It is best to go to the vet right away because he can remove the abscess. If you squeeze it yourself, the infection can penetrate deeper into the body of the animal. If this happens, then the bacterium complicates the disease, which can kill your pet. Removing an abscess is a small operation, usually easily done by a veterinarian. He can use or not use anesthesia, it depends on how big the sore is, and where it is on the body of the animal. Removal is made with a scalpel, and then it is treated with an antipyretic medicine. If the abscess is large, then stitches may be needed. Bandages are not used, as they block the air access to the wound, which can slow the healing process. Most often, the animal needs to be given / injected antibiotics for some time to be sure that the disease will not complicate. If the abscess is small, then antibiotics may not be needed, but they will still be recommended just in case.

If you want the best for your pet, it’s best to simply not allow bacteria to get to it. It is necessary to remove dirt and thrown pieces of food from the cell, as they are the sources of bacteria. Disinfect the rodent's house once a week, if not more often (this depends on how many animals live in the cage). Use soft litter that does not contain anything sharp and remove all coarse, rough, sharp objects from the cage. Coat the wire floors with some durable material and give your pet only clean, fresh food. It is also advisable to disinfect the drinker every 2-3 days.

If something happened and your rodent has a wound, no matter how small it is, lubricate it with a good antipyretic agent (clordexin or peroxide) 2-3 times a day until it is completely healed. If you do not allow suppuration of the wound, then you will not need the help of a doctor. Otherwise, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Pin
Send
Share
Send